Sunday, March 1, 2009

Catching up, post-op

Sometimes I amaze myself. No seriously - I amaze myself with how unpredictable I can be with journal-keeping. Both the hard-copy kind (and actual journal) as well as the online kind (blogging). No doubt anyone who tracked my blog has pretty much written me off at this point. The good news is that anyone who uses RSS feeds will get my posts whether or not they actively track my blog. :)

In any case, I have quite a bit more time on my hands for the next few days, thanks to doctor's orders to stay off my feet and in this "continual passive movement" (CPM) machine for most of the day for the week after my surgery. So, let me take a step back... (Warning: If you have a weak stomach, you may not want to read about my surgery/recovery below.)

On Friday morning, I had my right knee (ACL specifically) reconstructed. I may post the two minutes of video sometime that my doc gave me after the surgery, for those of you who get a kick out of the blood and guts thing. Truth be told, there was no blood in sight in the video -- everything was white (kind of like chicken). Kind of strange... Anyway, thanks to a priesthood blessing on Wednesday evening (thank you, Derek and Luis), lots of prayers by me and others and a highly referred and skilled doctor (Dr. Bruce Rolfes, at the KneeFootAnkle Center in Kirkland, for those of you who may need his services someday), the surgery went very well. I was in the office by 6:15 a.m. and out by 10:45 a.m., loopy from the oxycodone (i.e., Percusset) and on my way home. Kirsten -- bless her heart -- waited for me the whole time in the surgery center waiting room, despite being bored out of her mind.

I was really nervous the 30 minutes before the surgery. The anesthesiologist had explained to me that he would be "blocking" my leg, which would essentially make it numb for about 18-20 hours. When he explained the process, I wasn't excited (to say the least). Put a big needle in, feel around for the right place, then inject and pull back out to make sure they didn't strike an artery or something. He told me I wouldn't remember anything, but frankly, I didn't want to be conscious of it in the moment either.

When they finally brought me back, it was different than when I had my first surgery 19 years ago. Before, they brought me into a dimly lit pre-op waiting area and put me under. This time, they brought me straight into the bright operating room and had me lay down on the table. They covered me in a sheet and a plastic bubble-wrap like blanket that had warm air flowing through it (makes a VERY efficient heat blanket!), and started chatting me up about how it happened, where I work, etc., while the anesthesiologist put the IV in. The last thing I remember, I was chatting away. Next thing I know, I'm waking up in the recovery room, stuck for a while in an almost-awake state and sounding really silly to the nurse, I'm sure. They helped me get dressed, get into a wheelchair and head out to the waiting room with Kirsten. They gave me my meds, put me in the car, and off we went. All done...

When I got home, Kirsten set me up on the couch downstairs with my ice machine and my CPM machine, a blanket, lots of pillows, my XBOX controller and TV remote, a book, my meds, water, something to eat, etc. And that pretty much describes the last two days since returning home. Two straight days of reading, games, movies and tv shows (Jericho and the latest episode of Heroes, to be exact) and dozing. To be honest, I'm starting to go a little stir-crazy. Kind of dull to think that I have five more days ahead of me like this. Ugh...

Good news is that I'm progressing very well. The doc last night was pleased that I had gotten myself to 90 degrees mobility already, and that I've tapered off the Oxycodone a bit (one every six hours instead of 1-2 every four hours). I took my dressing off and took a shower this morning, as all was well there. Not TOO swollen and everything was dry...

So there you go... I'm on my way back. I've been surprised that the pain has been less than I anticipated. I'm pretty sure it will get worse, though, as I start rehab. (I get to start riding the stationary bike today or tomorrow -- 30 minutes a day). But I'm determined to work hard to get back to good in as short a time as possible while doing right by the knee.

Before I close out this post, I have to give a shout out to my wonderful wife, who has so selflessly taken care of my every need these last two days (and will continue to do so for much of this week). I love and appreciate her more than I can say.

As for the blog... I'll try to post more this week than I have in the past couple of months, which should be easy. ;) I also have a ton of photos that I can post. Both the older boys started basketball, I went on a snow campout last weekend with the scouts, and lots of other events. Till later...

2 comments:

Alisha said...

Jason, glad to hear you are recovering from your surgery. It's funny that the thought of days full of nothing but rest, movies and books sounds fantastic to me but I'm sure I would get restless too. Hope recover continues to go well!!

Curtis said...

Holy crap Jason!